cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei Mate 20 Pro - VoLTE support

Ipse
Samurai

I see that P20 pro is listed in the "supported phone list" but not Mate 20Pro.

Is the list just not updated yet or the device is simply not supported?

Sefcond question: if my current account is VoLTE enabled (and working) do I need to do anything extra when the phone IS actually supported?

27 REPLIES 27

Kira
Super utilisateur
Super utilisateur

@Ipse wrote:

I see that P20 pro is listed in the "supported phone list" but not Mate 20Pro.

Is the list just not updated yet or the device is simply not supported?

Sefcond question: if my current account is VoLTE enabled (and working) do I need to do anything extra when the phone IS actually supported?

1- Currently not supported.

2- You need the "VoLTE" option in your file. This is done with customer services.

Buster
Initiate
When do you think VoLte will be available for this phone?

Ipse
Samurai

Anyone at Videotron able to provide an ETA? The Mate 20 pro from Rogers and Fido have VoLTE enabled.

This is marketed as a flagship phone, I don't understand the delay.

Buster
Initiate

I noticed on my eBill that I paid for a VoLTE Nano SIM card. Why no VoLTE support ?

Anonyme
Not applicable
Volte SIM or not, it doesn’t matter... same price for the sim. You don’t pay more to get the volte sim.
They said, I believe Videotron is only selling volte sim now.

Anyone at Videotron actually reading these forum posts? Or it's a community service providing a place to vent?

Can we get an actual reply from a company rep?

Anonyme
Not applicable

@Ipse wrote:

Anyone at Videotron actually reading these forum posts? Or it's a community service providing a place to vent?

A lot of Videotron's employees are reading these forum posts... all moderators are employees. 

Employees will not talk about something that is not publicaly annonced.

that said, I'm sure Videotron is working on this... it's probably just a matter of testing the equipment to make sure to 100% compatible with Videotron's VoLTE implementation/systems. Probably more to come in January because I'm sure that no one is working on this during the Holidays period. 

@Ipse wrote:

Used to have the "employee" tag before getting the super user one.

As for your subject, my original answer still stands.

Not supported at the moment and we're going to know it at about the same time as you when it is/if it is supported.

Also to add to what @Anonyme said, the holiday season is probably the slowest one of the year du to people being off and its hardly the time to come out with updates of the sorts. (can't risk a major bug with lack of people to fix it)

Thanks @Anonyme and @Kira for chiming in.

I'm antsy because it wasn't easy to get VoLTE activated on my previous phone and I  miss it now (mostly because it also enables VoWiFi which I use at work and when traveling for work ). 

Seeing how the December security updates haven't been pushed either, maybe there is hope.

Following up on my own post: I borrowed a Rogers SIM card and tested it. VoLTE and VoWiFi we INSTANTLY available.

Therefore we see that the software supports it (no upgrade needed) but Videotron HAS to enable the functionality.

It is a real bummer as well that on a dual-SIM phone the Canadian version has that option removed. Why? Dare I say..."monopoly"?

Anonyme
Not applicable

@Ipse wrote:

It is a real bummer as well that on a dual-SIM phone the Canadian version has that option removed. Why? Dare I say..."monopoly"?

legally, they have to test a device to make sure it's 100% compatible with their system. 

so for example, if they don't test it extensively and your call to 911 fails because it's not compatible for some reason, you might end up suing them because 911 calls did not work. Also, regarding the laws, 911 calls shouldn't be blocked for any reason... so if a VoLTE fails for any reason for 911 calls, they might be in trouble. 

so essentially here, Videotron has probably asked Huawei to not enable VoLTE when an Videtron sim is inserted because it's still not fully tested with their system. 

@Ipse wrote:

I borrowed a Rogers SIM card and tested it. VoLTE and VoWiFi we INSTANTLY available.

Wait, is your phone a BYOD or purchased from Videotron?

@Kira I never said it was BYOD...I said I borrowed a Rogers SIM to test and it worked on a VTR phone.

@Anonyme This should teach me to be more explicit...I was just talking about the dual-SIM option disabled on the LYA-L0C (Canadian) version of the Mate 20 Pro. It wasn't a continuation of the discussion about VoLTE.

Hence the comment about monopolies in Canada and the push back on diual-SIM phones.

Hope I clarified things now.

BTW...for those interested - once the bootloader is unlocked (not trivial or free today) there is a chance to flash a LYA-L29 ROM and get dual-SIM functionality...or so I read.

An update: I opened a complaint through the web page and a nice lady followed up confirming that VoLTE for M20P will not be available soon.

I encourage all the customers that own the phone to take 5 min to fill in a complaint as she was right in saying that customer demand will be the driver here.

Complaint filed

Received a call today from Videotron. He confirmed that Videotron is TESTING the M20P. He was not able to confirm an ETA

as to when it will go live if all the testing results are positive. I guess this sounds like GOOD news.

I got the 9.0.0.182 s/w upgrade today and after installing it VoLTE IS THERE!!! Finally.

Not all is good though, as I don't see VoWiFi as a call option in dialer settings (as I have on my old S7 Edge) and also the supported phone list is not yet updated.

Looks like Canadian carriers have been really slow to get 182 as this was available in EMEA and APAC 4 weeks ago. Notable changes  are Super macro mode and call quality improvements. Got to XDA developpers to see the Change log if you want to know more before you accept the update.

Anonyme
Not applicable

@Ipse wrote:

I got the 9.0.0.182 s/w upgrade today and after installing it VoLTE IS THERE!!! Finally.

Not all is good though, as I don't see VoWiFi as a call option in dialer settings (as I have on my old S7 Edge) and also the supported phone list is not yet updated.

Looks like Canadian carriers have been really slow to get 182 as this was available in EMEA and APAC 4 weeks ago notable changes  are Super macro mode and call quality improvements. Got to XDA developpers to see the Change log if you want to know more before you accept the update.

wifi calling may come later or may never come. 

My brother has a LG G7 One... VoLTE works perfectly since he got his device in december... but VoWIFI is not supported and apparently Videotron has not plan to add it to this device for now. 

I guess VoWIFI is more complex to support as it needs more configuration on the device and on the Videotron's servers.