cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you change the IP range used by the router?

I plan on installing helix in brdige mode and then just plugging in my network.
I have a complex installation with static ipS. DHCP and a separate 10gbe network.
All my devices are set to the range 192.168.1.1 to 255 but the router is set to 192.168.0.1
I know I need to log in via 10.0.0.1 but can this router allow the address range to be changed?
If not this might be a reason to cancel my helix.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

@tomb181 wrote:
I plan on installing helix in brdige mode and then just plugging in my network.
I have a complex installation with static ipS. DHCP and a separate 10gbe network.
All my devices are set to the range 192.168.1.1 to 255 but the router is set to 192.168.0.1
I know I need to log in via 10.0.0.1 but can this router allow the address range to be changed?
If not this might be a reason to cancel my helix.
Thanks

Typically, consumer-grade routers have a predefined range for the local IP addresses they assign, often in the 192.168.x.x range. Changing this predefined range is often not possible on consumer routers.

Yes, you can change the IP range used by your router. Access the router's web interface by entering its IP address in a web browser, log in using the provided credentials, and navigate to the network or LAN settings. From there, you can modify the IP range as needed, but specific steps may vary by router model.
regards @aleesabrooks

The technician who installed my "White" Helix-Fi did not provide any credentials,  and the password in bottom of device does not seem to work.  Atleast not with "admin" or the ssid.

Would resetting my Helix help? (the handy big recessed button on its back)

Or-  gee... can I install DD-WRT or Tomato on it?  I suppose not...   😉

I also have configuration requirements specific to my location having to do with static VS DHCP, and I have an unanswered question here related to that.  Specifically, I am able to assign a specific range to the DHCP pool, like 10.0.0.250 to 10.0.0.253, but when I try to assign the MAC of my server and printers to a static IP like 10.0.0.50, say, Iget an error telling me the addresss needs to be from the pool.  In my mind, that's contradictory, no?

If I don't get an answer to my own threadsoon, I will jsut force my server and printer themselves to have the static IP I want, rather than have the Helix do it.

CedrikS
Moderator - Solution Expert
Moderator - Solution Expert

Good morning aqk,

Regarding this, a factory reset of the gateway would certainly help. Here is how:

Behind the gateway, press and hold the big white button for a full 60 seconds. The white light on top will disapear.
Let it reset for about 10-15 minutes.

Connect one computer or laptop into the gateway with a wire and go the address 10.0.0.1.

*** If it asks you to connect, enter admin as a username and put password as the password. ***

You will then have to create a WiFi network name and a WiFi password in the interface that will appear.

Finally, reconnect your devices over WiFi.

Thank you!