cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling on BYOD accounts

So, I have a 1st gen Pixel. It clearly supports Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE features.

Can someone please supply me with a very technical reason why this device isn't supported for these features, in the context of having a BYOD account? My understanding is that even if I had a Videotron supported device (like a Samsung Galaxy 8+) the fact I'm on BYOD means I don't qualify for these services, which strikes me as odd.

7 REPLIES 7

Anonyme
Not applicable

@deyraud wrote:

So, I have a 1st gen Pixel. It clearly supports Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE features.

Can someone please supply me with a very technical reason why this device isn't supported for these features, in the context of having a BYOD account? My understanding is that even if I had a Videotron supported device (like a Samsung Galaxy 8+) the fact I'm on BYOD means I don't qualify for these services, which strikes me as odd.

BYOD does't have anything to do with the fact that you don't have access to Wi-Fi calling or VoLTE. I have friends and familly members on BYOD with Android devices or Iphone... and they have access to VoLTE and sometimes also Wi-Fi Calling.

First you need the VoLTE sim card and VoLTE option added to your account.

go to https://www.videotron.com/client/residentiel/linkdevicesim/listdevicesim.action and see if your sim card is compatible with VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling. if it's not, get it swapped for a compatible one in any Videotron store. 

By they way, VoLTE/Wi-Fi calling compatiblity for your device shown on the this page is not important... it will show if your device is compatible only if you bought the device from Videotron... as long as your sim card is shown as compatible, you are fine for that part. 

For Android, you need to have the proper firmware loaded on your device... a firmware compatible with Vidéotron's VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling "servers". Also, it needs to be on the supported list of devices. https://support.videotron.com/residential/mobile/volte .

For iPhone. as long as you have the VoLTE sim card, it will work.

that said, even if your device is not on the list, it might still work... at least for VoLTE. 

make sure you have the VoLTE sim card and VoLTE option on your account... and it might work. 

The sim is VoLTE compatible. Chat support said they can't enable it, same with wifi-calling.

Anonyme
Not applicable

That’s correct because the Pixel is not on the list of supported device.

That said, check your plan details in Customer Center portal... if you see VoLTE there there’s nothing else to do... everything is in place as long as your device is supported by videotron.
IMG_3753.jpeg

BYOD doesn't work because they don't want it to work. Other providers are now allowing this through the IMS registration.

With Vidéotron (and Rogers), you can get into areas where there is only LTE. Happened to me recently. Although SMS and data we're fine, I couldn't make any calls. Had I been on Rogers, I would have likely been able to.

Anonyme
Not applicable
This will be the last time I say it clear, BYOD has nothing to do with this.
You need a supported device. If you have a BYOD device m that is supported even if not bought from Vidéotron, it will work as long as you have a VoLTE sim and VoLTE option on your account.

You've made your point, Anonyme.

Customers subscribed to a Videotron service but with no agreement, and who own an Android device cannot use the VoLTE feature.

https://support.videotron.com/residential/mobile/volte

To answer the original question, there is no technical answer but rather a technicality.