cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to watch live TV on my PC (browser) after switching from Illico to Helix

yvest
Initiate

Hi,

I travel a lot for work (within and outside Canada) and when I was with Illico, I used to watch live TV shows and broadcasts all the time while on the road on my laptop running windows.  Since we've switched to Helix, I can still watch recorded programs or on-demand content but no live TV or broadcasts.  I get an error message saying that I need to be on my home Wifi network in order to watch live TV programs which makes no sense to me.  I know it works using the WebTV app on mobile but find it too small so I much prefer watching using my laptop.

Any suggestions or possible solutions to my problem here would be much appreciated !

Thanks.

Yves

2 REPLIES 2

JFrancoisD
Moderator - Solution Expert
Moderator - Solution Expert

Hello Yves! 

This situation is caused by broadcasting restrictions which are imposed on certain contents by the entities owning said content (broadcasters and production companies/studios) from whom we have obtained broadcasting rights, allowing us to offer that content on our online platforms.

Some content is available everywhere in Canada while other is available from Quebec only and some can only be viewed from a Videotron connection (or your own connection). This depends on the content and on the rights we have been able to obtain on that content. 

If you are experiencing this on all content or are able to view the same content on a mobile (web and mobile rights are usually the same), it could also be caused by a browser issue. I recommend deleting cookies and cache, making sure your browser is up to date and disabling script or ad blockers which may prevent the DRM software from properly executing. If you are attempting to broadcast from your laptop to a TV using a wired connection, make sure you are using a HDCP 1.4 or higher - compliant device and HDMI cable. Once again, this feature may not be available on some content. We recommend using Chromecast to transfer the content from your mobile/laptop to a television if that's the case.

I hope this helps! Do no hesitate to contact our Technical Support if you are still experiencing issues or need assistance.

-JFrancoisD

@JFrancoisD wrote:

Hello Yves! 

This situation is caused by broadcasting restrictions which are imposed on certain contents by the entities owning said content (broadcasters and production companies/studios) from whom we have obtained broadcasting rights, allowing us to offer that content on our online platforms.

Some content is available everywhere in Canada while other is available from Quebec only and some can only be viewed from a Videotron connection (or your own connection). This depends on the content and on the rights we have been able to obtain on that content. 

If you are experiencing this on all content or are able to view the same content on a mobile (web and mobile rights are usually the same), it could also be caused by a browser issue. I recommend deleting cookies and cache, making sure your browser is up to date and disabling script or ad blockers which may prevent the DRM software from properly executing. If you are attempting to broadcast from your laptop to a TV using a wired connection, make sure you are using a HDCP 1.4 or higher - compliant device and HDMI cable. Once again, this feature may not be available on some content. We recommend using Chromecast to transfer the content from your mobile/laptop to a television if that's the case.

I hope this helps! Do no hesitate to contact our Technical Support if you are still experiencing issues or need assistance.

-JFrancoisD io games

Thank you I will give it a look