cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data roaming?

mikes
Disciple
I live in a suburb of Ottawa and If I don't enable data roaming, I can't use data in the south end of the burbs. Am I right in thinking that enabling and using data roaming doesn't incur any additional costs with Videotron? And why is Videotron's coverage so bad in the south of Ottawa?
2 REPLIES 2

JoéCL
Moderator - Solution Expert
Moderator - Solution Expert

Hello Mikes. 

First things first, you should start by checking Videotron's coverage map on the following website

If the area you describe in the south of Ottawa is on the orange/Darker Yellow portion of this map, it is likely that your situation isn't normal and would require troubleshooting with Videotron's technical support.  A simple address can be used to look up the theoretical signal in some places - and if it doesn't match what you experience, that's a sign to escalate the issue. Even if it does match what you would expect in that part of the city, they can offer solutions to your problem, such as Wi-Fi calls , and trying out different network connections . 

As for roaming, a vast majority of phone plans will allow it , as long as you stay within the limits of your plan. The big differences are that when roaming, your celling for overusage fees is higher - That is to say that if you use your mobile data too much  in the subscription zone, Videotron has to stop you at 50$ to avoid excessive billing.  However, if you are roaming, that celling is now 100$, so twice as high. 

Another thing to consider is that if you roam, you must still keep the majority of your usage on Videotron's network . If you do not, you could be blocked from using the Partner network 2  for a period of 30 days.  If you wish to know more about the Partner Network 2 restrictions, you can learn more here

Hope this helps! 

@mikes wrote:
I live in a suburb of Ottawa and If I don't enable data roaming, I can't use data in the south end of the burbs. Am I right in thinking that enabling and using data roaming doesn't incur any additional costs with Videotron? And why is Videotron's coverage so bad in the south of Ottawa? any Idea?

Yes I was also going to ask the same question, really woried about Videotron.