cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning your move in 8 simple questions

AuroreLB
Responsable éditoriale

Moving day is right around the corner, and there’s so much to think about! How much notice do I need to give Videotron? If there aren’t enough outlets at my new home, can a technician install more? Does the technician need access to my former home to transfer my services?

We have all the answers to your questions!

1. When should I notify Videotron that I’m moving?

Honestly... the sooner the better! We recommend letting us know at least 30 to 45 days before your moving date.

If a technician is needed for an installation or connection prior to your Helix self-installation, this will give us plenty of time to schedule a visit at your new home.

We understand that life sometimes throws us curveballs! If you can’t give us that much notice, we’ll do our best to fit you in as soon as possible.

1. Can I install the equipment myself?

Yes. Helix gives you more flexibility and autonomy by allowing you to install the Helix Fi gateway yourself –it’s quick, easy, and free. However, you must already be connected to the Videotron network, have functional interior wiring, and not be a Home Phone subscriber.

Note that a free connection appointment may be required if your home has never been connected to the Videotron network or if the connection is too old. 

If you’re not comfortable installing your Helix equipment on your own, you can always book an installation appointment with a technician.

Feel free to ask the technician to install additional outlets during the visit. When you move to a new place, the moving of your services includes the installation of up to 5 outlets.

1. I don’t have access to my new home yet. Can I suspend my services for a while, until I move into my new place?

Absolutely. Your services can be suspended for up to 45 days after they have been disconnected from your old place. However, your Mobile service cannot be suspended.

If you’re moving to a different area and would like to change your mobile phone number, refer to the article on how to manage your Mobile service.

1. Does a technician need to disconnect the equipment at my old address?

No. There’s no need for a technician to go to your old address, but remember to disconnect all your equipment and bring it with you to your new place.

Depending on your services, there are different ways to disconnect your equipment.

1. Do I need to bring the equipment with me to my new address?

Yes. When you move to your new place, bring all your Videotron and Helix equipment (modem, router, TV terminal and remote, gateway, Wi-Fi pods, and cables) with you. The technician will then be able to install everything in your new home.

1. Do I need to be home for the technician’s visit?

Yes, it’s important for you to be there when the technician comes to connect your services.

No technician will perform the installation if there isn’t an adult present.

If you can’t be there, you can ask someone you trust, who is at least 18 years old, to be there on your behalf for the duration of the visit. However, it is always best for you to be there at this time.

1. How can I prepare for the technician’s visit to my new home?

For an efficient installation, choose where you want to install the following devices before the visit:

• TV
  • Computer
  • Home phone

Depending on the services to be installed, make sure you have the following handy:

• Wi-Fi router
  • Modem
  • Terminal (illico or Helix TV)
  • Helix Fi gateway
  • Wi-Fi pods

Tip: Have all the wires and cables from your devices and equipment ready in one place (power supply, cable connection, Ethernet cable, HDMI cables, etc.). This will help the technician go even faster!

In other words, anything pluggable should be ready to go!

You can also prepare for the technician’s visit by making sure the junction box is accessible, clearing the area and checking for any restrictions. For tips and tricks for your Helix services, check out our guide on how to prepare for the Helix technician’s visit. For other services, see our guide on how to prepare for the technician’s visit.

1. I’m moving to a new area. Can I choose my new phone number?

Sure, choosing a phone number is one of life’s little pleasures! You can select a mobile or home phone number from those available in your new area.

Any other questions? Please feel free to ask them in the comments, and we’ll answer them!

To notify us of your move, contact Customer Service.