cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G coverage in Ottawa?

teddo
Initiate

2 questions:

a) Can I get 5G service in Ottawa either directly on Videotron network or roaming on partner network only?

b) I just switched from an LTE device to a new 5G device.  I re-used the SIM card from the old device.  Will 5G be supported with the old SIM or do I need to get a new SIM?

10 REPLIES 10

Blessering58
Initiate

Yes you can get 5G service in Ottawa. And 5G will be support with the old SIM. Flying Together

@teddo wrote:

2 questions:

a) Can I get 5G service in Ottawa either directly on Videotron network or roaming on partner network only?

b) I just switched from an LTE device to a new 5G device.  I re-used the SIM card from the old device.  Will 5G be supported with the old SIM or do I need to get a new SIM?

Greetings!

Presently, Videotron's 5G network does not in fact extend to Ottawa. We are constantly expanding our networks with the latest technology available, however, so it is likely that this area will be covered in the future. 

In the meantime, you will of course be able to use the best of our LTE network while in Ottawa. 

Have a great day! 

-JFrancoisD

@JFrancoisD wrote:

Greetings!

Presently, Videotron's 5G network does not in fact extend to Ottawa. We are constantly expanding our networks with the latest technology available in this post, however, so it is likely that this area will be covered in the future. 

In the meantime, you will of course be able to use the best of our LTE network while in Ottawa. 

Have a great day! 

-JFrancoisD

Which 5G network is best in Canada?

NOT Videotron. Try Robbers or Bhellus.

@teddo wrote:

2 questions:

Yes, you can get 5G service in Ottawa on Videotron's network. Videotron has launched its 5G network in several cities across Quebec, including Ottawa, and they offer 5G service directly to their customers.

However, if you are outside Videotron's network coverage area, you may be able to roam on partner networks that offer 5G service, depending on your plan and the roaming agreements in place. It's best to check with Videotron directly to confirm the availability of 5G roaming in your area and whether your plan supports it.

As of 2021, there is 5G coverage in Ottawa from multiple carriers. Here is an overview of 5G coverage in Ottawa from major carriers:

1. Rogers Communications: Rogers Communications launched 5G service in Ottawa in early 2020. The coverage is available in select areas of the city and is expanding over time.

2. Bell Canada: Bell Canada launched 5G service in Ottawa in late 2020. The coverage is available in select areas of the city and is expanding over time.

3. Telus: Telus launched 5G service in Ottawa in late 2020. The coverage is available in select areas of the city and is expanding over time.

It is important to note that 5G coverage may vary depending on the carrier, location, and device used. Some areas may have stronger or weaker 5G coverage than others, and not all devices are compatible with 5G networks. It is recommended to check with your carrier and device manufacturer for specific information on 5G coverage in Ottawa and to ensure that your device is compatible with 5G networks

To find the most up-to-date information about 5G coverage in Ottawa, I recommend the following steps:

1. **Check Carrier Websites:** Visit the official websites of major mobile carriers in Canada, such as Bell, Rogers, and Telus. They often provide coverage maps that indicate the availability of 5G in specific areas.

2. **Use Coverage Maps:** Many carriers offer online coverage maps that allow you to enter an address or location to see the extent of their 5G coverage in that area. Check the coverage maps for your chosen carrier to get a clear picture of the available 5G areas in Ottawa.

3. **Contact Carrier Support:** If you have specific questions about 5G coverage in Ottawa, consider reaching out to the customer support of your chosen carrier. They can provide detailed information based on your location.

4. **Local Reports and News:** Search for local reports or news articles about 5G deployment in Ottawa. These sources might provide insights into the progress of the rollout and areas with strong 5G coverage.

5. **Check Device Compatibility:** Ensure that your mobile device is 5G compatible. Not all devices are capable of connecting to 5G networks, so make sure your device supports 5G frequencies used in Canada.

6. **Community Forums:** Online forums and social media groups related to mobile technology can.

mikes
Disciple

I would honestly recommend against going with Videotron if you live in Ottawa. Their coverage in the south end of the city is poor; I often can't get a signal of any strength in the south or south/east of Barrhaven.

But as long as you enable roaming, you can roam onto partner networks that would have service though. So...no need to avoid Videotron.

FYI I'm noticing that 5G service is making progress in terms of coverage.

I agree with JFrancoisD.