cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Home for every personality

JeanMarieAlneus
Pro Vidéotron

Google Home - Bedroom.jpg

Google Home was clearly one of the most popular gadgets during the holiday season. Maybe you were lucky enough to get one for Christmas!

With multiple features and voice commands, Google Home can adapt to suit any personality type. Whatever your interests are, your device will find ways to keep you happy!

Here are some tips and tricks that will make you love Google Home even more, no matter what you're into.

If you’re a sports fan

Google Home could be your best sports buddy if you need quick updates on your favourite teams or if you don’t have time to watch all their matches.

Here are some commands sports fans can use:

OK Google...

• When is the next Habs game?
  • What's the score for the Packers game?
  • What place are the Pittsburgh Penguins in?
  • Who won the Stanley Cup in 2003?
  • How tall is Lebron James?
  • When is the next FIFA World Cup?
  • What are tonight’s NHL games?

Whether you're in front of your TV screen, talking sports with your friends or just too busy to watch the game, Google Home is there to help keep you up-to-date!

If you’re always in a hurry

Lots of people wish there were more than 24 hours in a day. Luckily, Google Home can help you make better use of your time while keeping your hands free.

Share your mental load with Google so you can relax a little! To improve your experience, make sure you’ve properly synced your Google account on your phone.

OK Google...

• Tell me about my day. (The Google Assistant will tell you about things like the weather, any events on your calendar, how long it will take you to get to work, and more.)
  • Remind me to call mom tomorrow at 6 p.m. (The Google Assistant can sync the reminder to your phone and also include it on your schedule when you ask it to tell you about your day).
  • How long will it take to get to Montreal?
  • Where is the nearest pharmacy?
  • Remember that my keys are in my purse. (When you need them, just say “OK Google, where are my keys?”and Google Home will tell you what you asked it to remember.)
  • Find my phone. (Google Home will ring your phone inside your house.)

For those of us who like to be as efficient as possible, these voice commands make Google Home a helpful assistant! 

If you’re a music lover

One of the best features of Google Home is that it can play music using an integrated speaker. But since it’s a smart speaker, it can do much more with your music than just play it. Here’s how you can take your musical experience to the next level.

You’ll need a premium subscription to Google Play Music or Spotify to request specific songs, albums or artists. The free service can only play music inspired by your request.

OK Google…

• Turn the volume up to 7.
  • Play music for house cleaning.
  • Play some relaxing music.
  • I like this song. (The song will automatically be saved in your favourites.)
  • Who sings this song?

Have you bought several Google Home speakers for your house? You can use the Home app to create groups of speakers and give each group its own name. For example, the living room and basement speakers could be in a group called “Social areas.” Then try this:

OK Google…

• Play some Imagine Dragons in the social areas. (The music will play from all Google Home devices that are part of the “Social areas” group.)

It will make for a seamless and pleasant musical experience!

If you want to impress your guests

If you already own a Google Home, you’re probably one of the first people in your social circle to get one. This is a great opportunity to impress your guests. Here are a few features that are sure to wow your friends.

OK Google…

• Tell me a joke.
  • Let’s play a game. (Google Home will suggest games, including group quizzes.)
  • Sing me a song.

Do you have a Chromecast device connected to your T.V.? If so, try this…

(You can assign a name to your Chromecast using the Home app).

OK Google…

• Play a Bruno Mars YouTube video on the living room T.V.
  • Show my photos of Florida in the living room. (You need to make sure you have synced your photos with the Google Photos app.)

With these voice commands, your guests will be very impressed with your smart speaker!

These features represent just a fraction of Google Home’s potential. This smart speaker is constantly improving—it gets even better as you use it. That said, I hope these tips will help you get familiar with your new toy and its wide range of possibilities!

Get the Google Home here!