cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A projector on your phone

MathieuRoy
Chroniqueur techno

MotoZ2Play_Projector_Ogilvy ATL_Resized.png

Many manufacturers have taken a stab at modular phones, but Motorola has come out on top.

With the MOTO Z line, you have the chance to pimp your device by sticking an accessory to it. Known as “Moto Mods,” these accessories snap snugly onto your phone using powerful magnets and are very easy to swap.

The concept piqued my curiosity. The Mods line comes with seven different accessories, which include a 360 camera, gamepad controller and speakers. I was excited about the prospect of improving sound quality with JBL speakers and the result was really good. I also loved the practicality of instantly boosting my battery life for long days—yes, there’s a Mod for that too. I also briefly tested the Hasselblad Mod, which is a camera with a 10x optical zoom. Since I’m not a photography pro, it was hard for me to assess it properly, but I did notice a clear improvement over my phone’s integrated camera.

A promising projector

Of all the available Mods, the one I was most eager to try was the Insta-Share Projector. This tiny projector is just 1.1 cm thick and, like all other Mods, it piggybacks onto your phone. The Insta-Share Projector is incredible for its size. Naturally, you can’t compare it to a $1,000 home theatre projector, but the Insta-Share Projector can quickly turn any surface into a 65- to 70-inch screen. It’s a great way to share content saved on your phone with family, friends or coworkers.

The kit is self-sufficient. Once you’ve attached the projector to your phone, you can project the image at any angle. And since the Insta-Share Projector includes a 1100 mAh battery, it doesn’t suck too much juice from your phone. This means you can easily project a mirror image of your device to show pictures of your family vacation, to make presentations at work or to share hilarious videos with friends. It goes without saying that the darker the room is, the brighter the image will seem.

How I used it

On a more personal note, I must confess that 80% of the time, I used the Insta-Share Projector in my room, with my girlfriend, projecting onto the ceiling. STOP! Get your mind out of the gutter. We just got caught up on TV shows, with the projector perched on our headboard as we sat up in a vertical position. Since our room is dark, the images were good enough to watch entire movies. With this set-up, I treated myself to Sunday mornings in bed watching all the latest superhero movies—that was before we had kids. J  

Today, Deadpool and Flash have been replaced with Caillou and Peppa Pig. Yep, that’s how it goes! Times change and so does our home movie set-up. Sometimes we project on the living room wall, sometimes it’s the closet door in the bedroom, or sometimes it’s the light-coloured wall in the basement.

Motorola worked hard to make this projector as small as possible. And their efforts have paid off, since this gadget is fun to have when you want to entertain your family in the dark.

Get your projector with the Motorola Moto Z2 Play now!