cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partner network data connectivity issues

When I roam on to a partner network (usually partner1), i sometimes get a "x" on my signal bar. it works for text and phone calls, but not for data. I have to restart my phone 5-6 times before the "x" goes away and the data works. I have a Nexus 6P and it is fully up to date. What is going on?

32 REPLIES 32

I have the exact same issue. In Montreal, data acces is no problem. WHenever I travel abroad, it works for a couple of minutes and stop. does not matter how many times i reboot the phone. it is an iPhone 6 and a videotron sim card that I hope is good since I got it only 2 months ago... this is very frustrating..

Anonyme
Not applicable

recently, I've seen some changes in the mobile network codes (MNC).

Originally Videotron MNC was 500.

Later on, 510 appeared somewhere (maybe when they officially lauched their own network). 

Recently I've seen 520. 

This is mainly all on 3G

on my device when connected on LTE, MNC is always 720 (Rogers).

I've seen some 510 on LTE when LTE was first launched... but now all I see is 720 no matter where I am. 

This is on an iPhone X on IOS 12 beta. 

so it appears that Videotron is somewhat working on their network... and this might be causing problems for some users.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon for those that are having problems (it's fine for me... worked fine this past weekend when I was connected PRTNR 2 network in Réserve faunique du Saint-Maurice.

the most recent Operator config might fix a few problems here and there on iPhones. I guess it will be available with the next iOS version. 

If you want to try it on your iPhone, upgrade to the iOS 12 beta (it's very stable on my device). all details on beta.apple.com... if you need help, you can contact me directly. 

I'm seeing the same issues with a Blackbery PRiV.  

I recently moved from Rogers to Videotron.  Had it for about a week before I left the country on a **blip**.. during that week everything seemed fine (a little isssue the first time we put in the sim).  but after I crossed into AT&T territory things have been horrible. the first day I lost data probably 10 times.. having to reboot to get it to come back, sometimes multiple times.  For the last 2 days I have been basically stationary in a city in Ohio, and I have had NO data, no matter what I do. Switching airplane mode on and off didnt Work either. 

My brother is sitting right beside me (still on rogers with a blackberry passport) and has had zero trouble the entire **blip** with data.  

one thing I just tried was taking the phone off automatic network and manually setting AT&T.  That seems to have given me data back but unsure for how long.  That being said, I shouldn't have to manually select networks.  I'm at a loss at the moment as to what it could be other than a defective SIM???????? not sure if a bad sim could give me voice but no data ? 

Thanks for any assistance. 

I just activated my new Vidéotron phone at home and the network shows up at PRNTR1. So most of my phone usage will be from this network. Is this fine? My understanding is that the restriction regarding three consecutive billing periods with most of the calls, SMS or data in roaming refers to PRNTR2 networks, right? I asked four times before signing in to make sure my location is fine. I was told that it would be, but I could not get any clear specific information about roaming from the sale people. Thanks!

Anonyme
Not applicable

@kreyszig wrote:
I just activated my new Vidéotron phone at home and the network shows up at PRNTR1. So most of my phone usage will be from this network. Is this fine? My understanding is that the restriction regarding three consecutive billing periods with most of the calls, SMS or data in roaming refers to PRNTR2 networks, right? I asked four times before signing in to make sure my location is fine. I was told that it would be, but I could not get any clear specific information about roaming from the sale people. Thanks!

I’m 99% sure you will be fine.

where are you located? Anywhere in Quebec, it should be Videotron ... not PRTNR1

PRTNR1 in Quebec most of the time refers to the « slow » 3g or edge network.

I have an iphone 7 with the borderless plan and when I was in New England (Maine, NH, Mass) in August  I was able to get on the local network and make calls/receive text messages but I was not able to access any data at all, which is part of the reason I signed up for this plan, specifically for using data - Google Maps - while travelling. Everything is enabled. My husband has iPhone 6 and the same plan and he was not able to access data either. We just signed up with Videotron in July so our SIM cards are brand-new. Any thoughts on connecting to US data?

Same issue I had but with Pixel 2 X...also around MA, NH area. A few restarts (or selecting network manually) would sometimes get data but it would always dissapear after a bit.

when you say "everything is enabled", this is including data roaming on your device?

(you need to enable this option to be able to use other networks in Canada and elsewhere in the world).

that said, I'm might be going to Burlington VT this weekend or next weekend... 

I will report back when if I go. 

It worked really fine when I was in Vegas in June... so I guess it will still work fine there in the few days. 

for those that have an iphone and would like to try something... 

install the latest iOS 12 public beta (the last beta is very stable). This might help to fix some data problems on iPhone. 

I'm replying to my own message - I was just in Las Vegas for vacation and had no issues using my phone in the US for talk, text or data. We think the issue was the signals were just not strong enough when we were on the east coast. Definitely helpful for using Maps when driving, and signals were quite strong - even when going through Death Valley!

I'm wondering if this issue has been resolved. I travelled to Florida back in August and used the daily traveller pass option, to be able to use data to use google maps and a few other data services. I was able to connect to ATT or Tmobile, but was not able to use data. Only a few times after a reboot and/or selecting networks manually was I ever able to use data but it would only last for a bit, then it wouldn't work anymore. Anyhow, I'm planning to drive to Texas after Xmas and I'm wondering if this is working properly yet. I really don't think it has anything to do with weak signals as it didn't work in large cities such as Charlotte or Syracuse.

I'm using a Pixel XL and ensured data roaming was turned on. I've never really had a problem using partner networks in Canada, such as in Toronto.

Anonyme
Not applicable

@ryan4477 wrote:

I'm wondering if this issue has been resolved. I travelled to Florida back in August and used the daily traveller pass option, to be able to use data to use google maps and a few other data services. I was able to connect to ATT or Tmobile, but was not able to use data. Only a few times after a reboot and/or selecting networks manually was I ever able to use data but it would only last for a bit, then it wouldn't work anymore. Anyhow, I'm planning to drive to Texas after Xmas and I'm wondering if this is working properly yet. I really don't think it has anything to do with weak signals as it didn't work in large cities such as Charlotte or Syracuse.

I'm using a Pixel XL and ensured data roaming was turned on. I've never really had a problem using partner networks in Canada, such as in Toronto.

I guess you have upgraded to Android Pie? 

I'm asking the question because some other user on an other thread had some problem with "roaming" within Canada after upgrading to Pie... and solution was to go back to Android 8.

that said, I recently went to Syracuse with my iPhone X... and also to Las Vegas in June... and all was fine. I never had any issue with Data (same for my wife with her iPhone 7). 

My wife went to Platsburg last weekend... and all was fine too. 

Also check if you have the latest sim (the VoLTE SIM even if you device is not VoLTE capable with Vidéotron).... this might help. 

relatively new subscriber here.   It worked going to Toronto, no problem.  Coming back on the 401, I could make calls but no Internet.  

Called Tech, no help.  Opened a ticket.

I turned off Cellular -> network selection from Automatic and select Prtn 1 no good. Prtn 2, it worked.  

Your milage will vary.

Anonyme
Not applicable

@wrapper wrote:

relatively new subscriber here.   It worked going to Toronto, no problem.  Coming back on the 401, I could make calls but no Internet.  

Called Tech, no help.  Opened a ticket.

I turned off Cellular -> network selection from Automatic and select Prtn 1 no good. Prtn 2, it worked.  

Your milage will vary.

I went to Toronto end of last week... I have two colleagues that are on Rogers/Fido... even for them, coverage on the 401 is not very good... so it was not better for me with Videotron. 

The main Canadian roaming partner is Rogers... you phone will stay on Rogers as long as signal is present even when signal is not very powerfull or is Edge only. So this means that until Rogers adds some tower in this region, signal will be problematic.