cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE on Videotron Calls

MnJ
Initiate

Hey all,

New to Videotron here in Ottawa and was wondering when making calls are they on LTE? I made a call today and noticed it was in 3G. Aren't call able to be in LTE as well as data? 

Just curious

9 REPLIES 9

pastisfmontreal
Super utilisateur
Super utilisateur

good evening,

you need to have a compatible device for that, like an iPhone or a Galaxy S7-8-9. And if I am not mistaken, the device needs to be from Vidéotron.

Thanks for the reply, I do have a compatible iPhone but it was a byod. I would think that it would be a network related issue. No?

You will have to see with support, as it is not a Vidéotron device.

good luck.

Anonyme
Not applicable

@MnJ wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I do have a compatible iPhone but it was a byod. I would think that it would be a network related issue. No?

If you have an iPhone 7 or better, you can get VoLTE on your iPhone even if it’s byod.

you first need to have a compatible sim... compatible sim came in a yellow card and it has « nfc » on the card.

also, contact customer service to get VoLTE added to your account.

Videotron will not allow VoLTE for byod on Android devices... but they will do it for iPhone since it’s the same hardware and software for all iPhone sold in Canada.

So for androids that are byod they wont allow volte? So that means i have to get rid of my android and get one of their android phones? ..

Anonyme
Not applicable

@macadacious wrote:
So for androids that are byod they wont allow volte? So that means i have to get rid of my android and get one of their android phones? ..

That is mostly true...

but if you have a Samsung phone, you can change the CSC to that VTR setting.

if you manage to get the compatible sim and also get the VoLTE option added to your account, it should work.

Wow thats lame.. Not everyone has money to cash out for a new phone right away or want to even switch to a new phone. But every calls ive been getting i get complaints " oh youre voice is breaking up" " where the hell are you i cant hear you man" "cmon man whats going on i can barely hear you".. I have a factory unlocked lg g5 that i bought unlocked 2 years ago on ebay, but i got the lte Sim card for the phone when i signed up. Now it seems i have to shell out a couple hundred for another phone from videotron..

Anonyme
Not applicable

@macadacious wrote:
Wow thats lame.. Not everyone has money to cash out for a new phone right away or want to even switch to a new phone. But every calls ive been getting i get complaints " oh youre voice is breaking up" " where the hell are you i cant hear you man" "cmon man whats going on i can barely hear you".. I have a factory unlocked lg g5 that i bought unlocked 2 years ago on ebay, but i got the lte Sim card for the phone when i signed up. Now it seems i have to shell out a couple hundred for another phone from videotron..

yes this is lame... 

this has been explained a few times on the community... 

getting VoLTE requires a specific firmware or a specific configuration. 

When buying a device elsewhere, you don't have this specific firmware/configuration for your provider. Also, some unlocked devices do not have all the VoLTE bands supported by the provider... but this is changing because most manufacturer now have one or two different hardware for the whole world instead of one for every country. There's very little Videotron can do about that... blame the Android manufacturer or Google for that.

The exception here is the iPhone... every iPhones sold have the exact same firmare... it doesn't matter where you buy it. The specific configuration for your provider is sent over the air when you insert a sim card. 

Also, Samsung phones can also do something "similar" when changing the CSC... but this is not supported by any provider... so you do it at your own risk. 

that said, sound should still be good on 3G... obviously not the same quality, but it should still be clear and not breaking up.

Oh i see i didnt know that im a new videotron I personally dont like iphones cause of the memory slot( most of my media is on there) and other stuff like being able to have a rooted phone. I guess i will stick with my phone and ride out with the 3g.. Lol