cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email to sms gateway... not active

Since switching from Rogers to Videotron, I've stopped recieving texts from a company that uses an email to sms gateway. After some research and being on the phone with videotron, it seems they had one for a while but then turned it off. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thougthts? Comments?

If I can't get these texts, I can't continue with videotron. 

I've filed a complaint requesting that they turn this feature on, as it seem like all other providers have it. 

If anyone else would like it turned on, I encourage you to use the complaint form and suggest it.

https://www.videotron.com/vcom-ext/secur/forms/Courriel?domain=sac&produit=16&question=145

Thanks,

Charles

13 REPLIES 13

Anonyme
Not applicable

sadly, Videotron doesn't have an email to sms gateway... this has been the case for a long time. 

If you need this, you will have to consider switching to a different provider. 

that said, for my alarm system, I'm using my iCloud email address... which is as fast as what I was getting with email-to-sms on Fido...

Thanks for the reply. You're right, it's really kinda sad.

I'm liking everything about Videotron, but if the want to excel in the mobil phone space, they really need to offer all the features that the big player do. 

Something like an email to sms gateway seems like such a simply thing, doesn't make sense why they wouldn't have one. 

Seems like the frame work is in place since I can send text from the webpage with in the customer service  portion of the site: https://www.videotron.com/client/residentiel/secur/sansfil3G/sendSMS.do

Anonyme
Not applicable

one of the reason they do not offer this service is probably spam related...

when I was with Fido, I was receiving regurarily spam through the email to sms gateway... 

Videotron's spam filtering is so bad that I wouldn't be surprised that the email to sms gateway would be unreliable because of this. 

I just filed a "complaint" also.

@Anonyme wrote:

one of the reason they do not offer this service is probably spam related...

when I was with Fido, I was receiving regurarily spam through the email to sms gateway... 

Videotron's spam filtering is so bad that I wouldn't be surprised that the email to sms gateway would be unreliable because of this. 

Almost all other carriers have this.  

Anonyme
Not applicable

@wrapper wrote:
Almost all other carriers have this.  

I would be curious to see how many persons are actually using this feature with other carriers.

My guess would be less than 0.5%. 

that said, hopefully Videotron will realize this is an important feature for some users...

Thanks for the complaint link. I just filed one. I work at home and don't have a cell phone. My wife is out and about and uses her cellphone to send and receive messages. I can send her a message from my Videotron email, but cannot receive one in return. This has long frustrated me, but I've been with Videotron for years and my Videotron email is on websites, brochures, etc. If it were simple for me to change providers I would. I have to say that Videotron has been great otherwise, with fast customer support.

@alexandertech wrote:

Thanks for the complaint link. I just filed one. I work at home and don't have a cell phone. My wife is out and about and uses her cellphone to send and receive messages. I can send her a message from my Videotron email, but cannot receive one in return. This has long frustrated me, but I've been with Videotron for years and my Videotron email is on websites, brochures, etc. If it were simple for me to change providers I would. I have to say that Videotron has been great otherwise, with fast customer support.

does she have a data plan?

if yes, it would be way better for both of you to communicate directly by email of use an app like Facebook Messenger that you can use from a desktop without the need to have a cell phone. 

I did.  They called me back and said they would look into it. 

To me it should be a no-brainer.  Everybody else has it.

Just follwoing up on my orginal message. 6 months later, sitll no change on this. 

I just submitted a new ticket through the online chat support requesting the feature again. 

You have to activate this service on mentioned mobile number. If it is not activated then you will not receive SMS on mobile it require 49/- charges or something like that.

Click Here : SMSala Bulk SMS Provider

I don't think this is an indiviual number thing. It's a basic feature that Videotron de-activated. 

Check this article: https://www.techwyse.com/blog/online-innovation/send-sms-through-email-to-usa-and-canada/

An organization I work with comuniticates with it's thousands of members using an Email to SMS gateway, however, doesn't work with videotron, therefor I don't get important messages I need. I currently have them sending to a friends BELL cell number, and then she forwards to me.... but it shouldn't have to be that way.

For example...this works

xxxxxxxxxx@txt.bell.ca

but there is no videotron option.

Anonyme
Not applicable

@bassmancan wrote:

I don't think this is an indiviual number thing. It's a basic feature that Videotron de-activated. 

Check this article: https://www.techwyse.com/blog/online-innovation/send-sms-through-email-to-usa-and-canada/

An organization I work with comuniticates with it's thousands of members using an Email to SMS gateway, however, doesn't work with videotron, therefor I don't get important messages I need. I currently have them sending to a friends BELL cell number, and then she forwards to me.... but it shouldn't have to be that way.

For example...this works

xxxxxxxxxx@txt.bell.ca

but there is no videotron option.

it's not a service that videotron has desactivated... it's a service that videotron chose not to offer.