cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network doesn't show on phone?

Bea_Apple
Squire

So, I'm a brand new customer. Last week I brought my already owned Samsung S9 to the kiosk in Place D'Orleans in Ottawa, where they ported my phone number from Rogers, gave me a sim, etc. I seem to be connected to the network, I can call and text, get LTE data etc.

What's bugging me is that my screen isn't showing the network. From what I read, I should have "VIDEOTRON" on the top line of my phone. This was not a problem before, "ROGERS" always appeared.

I was just roaming in New York this weekend, and not once did any of the "PRTNR" networks ever show up on the top line either, which the tech support documents say should appear. Connections were very spotty, I had to restart my phone numerous times to get data working, so I'm unsure if this is related.

Is there something misconfigured in my phone?

6 REPLIES 6

Anonyme
Not applicable

this might have something to do with the CSC configured on your phone. 

All Canadian Samsung phones sold lately in Canada have the same hardware and software... but they also have a configuration specific to the providers (CSC). 

There's a way to change the CSC on the Galaxy S9... this will allow you to configure your device exactly like what it would look like if it was sold by Videotron. This might also fix the network issues you have. 

Changing the CSC will factory reset your device (you will loose all your data on your phone). 

to change the CSC, dial this code: *#272#Phone’s IMEI#

you should have VTR in the list.

after changing the CSC, make sure to also update your software on your device. 

That's a pretty nuclear option, I'm going to have to study more on that.

A small update, I've found that if I pull down the quick status bar at the top of the screen (where you can shut off wifi, turn on airplane mode, etc), the samsung s9 does show "Videotron" at the bottom of the screen. I haven't roamed since the original post, but I presume it would show the partners the same way.

So, not really a solution, but a workaround. I haven't had the guts to try the nuclear option suggested above.

Well, I did it. The phone now shows the proper VTR in settings, which makes me feel better. Hopefully my roaming will be trouble free, won't be able to check that for months.

I still don't see Videotron in the status bar, just when I pull down as I described above. I'm now starting to question if I indeed saw it on the bar with Rogers, or if that was my old phone. I bought this S9 about 6 months ago.

Note for anyone else attempting this, there's a typo above. The proper command is *#272*Phone’s IMEI#

Anonyme
Not applicable

@Bea_Apple wrote:

I still don't see Videotron in the status bar, just when I pull down as I described above. I'm now starting to question if I indeed saw it on the bar with Rogers, or if that was my old phone. I bought this S9 about 6 months ago.

I have a colleague with a S9+... he is with Rogers... and he bought his device with Rogers too. 

He doesn't see the Rogers network name in the status bar...

Interesting. Maybe it's just an S9 weirdness.

I'm happy to have the proper CSC now. Thanks again.