Devices, packages, apps: start the conversation

Huawei Mate 20 Pro - VoLTE support

Officer

Re: Huawei Mate 20 Pro - VoLTE support

Following up on my own post: I borrowed a Rogers SIM card and tested it. VoLTE and VoWiFi we INSTANTLY available.

Therefore we see that the software supports it (no upgrade needed) but Videotron HAS to enable the functionality.

It is a real bummer as well that on a dual-SIM phone the Canadian version has that option removed. Why? Dare I say..."monopoly"?

Super utilisateur

@Ipse wrote:

It is a real bummer as well that on a dual-SIM phone the Canadian version has that option removed. Why? Dare I say..."monopoly"?

legally, they have to test a device to make sure it's 100% compatible with their system. 

so for example, if they don't test it extensively and your call to 911 fails because it's not compatible for some reason, you might end up suing them because 911 calls did not work. Also, regarding the laws, 911 calls shouldn't be blocked for any reason... so if a VoLTE fails for any reason for 911 calls, they might be in trouble. 

so essentially here, Videotron has probably asked Huawei to not enable VoLTE when an Videtron sim is inserted because it's still not fully tested with their system. 

Super utilisateur

@Ipse wrote:

I borrowed a Rogers SIM card and tested it. VoLTE and VoWiFi we INSTANTLY available.

Wait, is your phone a BYOD or purchased from Videotron?

Officer

@Kira I never said it was BYOD...I said I borrowed a Rogers SIM to test and it worked on a VTR phone.

Officer

@zadigre This should teach me to be more explicit...I was just talking about the dual-SIM option disabled on the LYA-L0C (Canadian) version of the Mate 20 Pro. It wasn't a continuation of the discussion about VoLTE.

Hence the comment about monopolies in Canada and the push back on diual-SIM phones.

Hope I clarified things now.

BTW...for those interested - once the bootloader is unlocked (not trivial or free today) there is a chance to flash a LYA-L29 ROM and get dual-SIM functionality...or so I read.

Highlighted
Officer

An update: I opened a complaint through the web page and a nice lady followed up confirming that VoLTE for M20P will not be available soon.

I encourage all the customers that own the phone to take 5 min to fill in a complaint as she was right in saying that customer demand will be the driver here.

Initiate

Complaint filed

Initiate

Received a call today from Videotron. He confirmed that Videotron is TESTING the M20P. He was not able to confirm an ETA

as to when it will go live if all the testing results are positive. I guess this sounds like GOOD news.

Officer

I got the 9.0.0.182 s/w upgrade today and after installing it VoLTE IS THERE!!! Finally.

Not all is good though, as I don't see VoWiFi as a call option in dialer settings (as I have on my old S7 Edge) and also the supported phone list is not yet updated.

Looks like Canadian carriers have been really slow to get 182 as this was available in EMEA and APAC 4 weeks ago. Notable changes  are Super macro mode and call quality improvements. Got to XDA developpers to see the Change log if you want to know more before you accept the update.

Super utilisateur

@Ipse wrote:

I got the 9.0.0.182 s/w upgrade today and after installing it VoLTE IS THERE!!! Finally.

Not all is good though, as I don't see VoWiFi as a call option in dialer settings (as I have on my old S7 Edge) and also the supported phone list is not yet updated.

Looks like Canadian carriers have been really slow to get 182 as this was available in EMEA and APAC 4 weeks ago notable changes  are Super macro mode and call quality improvements. Got to XDA developpers to see the Change log if you want to know more before you accept the update.

wifi calling may come later or may never come. 

My brother has a LG G7 One... VoLTE works perfectly since he got his device in december... but VoWIFI is not supported and apparently Videotron has not plan to add it to this device for now. 

I guess VoWIFI is more complex to support as it needs more configuration on the device and on the Videotron's servers. 

Latest discussions