cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage with data turned off

My daughter's phone is talk and text only, so it has the data turned off (we learned this because she is using my old phone and the data was on...turned it off after about an hour).

It still seems to be using a bit of data on a daily basis, though. Small amounts, such as 0.1MB on one day, 1MB on another. What could be causing this? She is arguing that texting where there isn't WiFi will use data, but I don't think so. What can I check? We've checked several times that data hasn't been turned on and it's always off, so either something is turning it on and off, or there is another problem.

2 REPLIES 2

Kira
Super utilisateur
Super utilisateur

@knit4pie wrote:

It still seems to be using a bit of data on a daily basis, though. Small amounts, such as 0.1MB on one day, 1MB on another. What could be causing this? She is arguing that texting where there isn't WiFi will use data, but I don't think so.

A bit odd I'll agree but she is right, to a certain extent, that texting will use data.

-If she is using iMessage on an iphone, that requires an internet connexion.

-A regular MMS (aka, a text with picture) has to go through data as well to be able to be sent.

These options do require the data to be on to work tho or to have an internet connexion through wifi.

What you could always to do get rid of it, is to call customer services have a data blockage impossed on that line.

Ok, I will double check with her if she's texting with pictures, but if it's just a regular text with the phone message app, there should be no data. During this period, she has either been at home or at school (both of which have wifi), so it will be just checking if she's sent texts with pictures while travelling I suppose...

Thanks for the tip on a data blockage! Will consider that seriously if nothing helps.