cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

monitoring Bandwidth usage of devices

Hi all,

I am totally new to Videotron home internet and i am so far so happy with it, specially the speed! my service was installed yesterday morning, today i checked the usage at 7 am in the mobile app and it says 10 GB of download (!) which 5 of it was between midnight and 4am which doesn't seem right as long as i didn't run any updates or ... during the night.

I just want to know if there is any way i make sure what was that weird internet usage about? maybe a trick that i can monitor all of my devices' bandwidth usage?

regards

soheil

2 REPLIES 2

JoséeC
Moderator - Solution Expert
Moderator - Solution Expert

Hello,

The best way to avoid any usage from being done without your knowing about it during the night, is to turn off your computer when you're not using it. Our usage calculator does not allow us to know the content or source of items downloaded through your modem. Actually, it would be illegal for Videotron to invade your privacy in such a manner.

If you own  a wireless router, please make sure that your wireless connection is protected by installing an access key. This will secure your wireless network and will prevent other internet users to use your connection fraudulently.

Thank you for your understanding,

JoséeC.

Hey Soheil, you can monitor all devices' bandwidth utilization with the help of PRTG Network Monitor. It is one of the main and foremost tool to examine your complete IT structure. You can also use https://appuals.com/monitor-bandwidth-utilization/ this site to learn much more about it. It lets you to measure all the traffic in your network by checking the data directly on your routers. PRTG Network Monitor also assists you to decide how much bandwidth your devices and applications are utilizing and monitor heavy overloads, so you can easily find bottlenecks. You can also utilize protocols based on networks such as flow, SNMP, or packet sniffing, to leverage the device and decide who or what is utilizing your bandwidth. When you find out the root of the issue, you can act easily.